Muskets and Memories
- Battlefield Preservation
- Frederick Aiken
- Letters to the Editor
- Marine Corps
- National Archives
- Original Photos
- This Date in Civil War History
- This Week in the Civil War
- Trail of Blood on Ice
Top Posts & Pages
- Lieutenant General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (1824-1863) C.S.A.
- On This Date in Civil War History: May 1-3, 1863 - The Battle of Chancellorsville
- Historical Inaccuracies in 'The Conspirator'
- The Monitor, the Merrimack and… U.S.S. Minnesota?
- On this Date in Civil War history: June 9, 1863 - Battle of Brandy Station
- Frederick A. Aiken Biography
- On this date in Civil War History: March 8-9, 1862 - Battle of Hampton Roads
- Biography: Major General Thomas Green, CSA (1814-1864)
- Ulysses Simpson Grant - 18th U.S. President and General-in-Chief of the U.S. Army (1822-1885)
- Mary Eugenia Surratt (1823-1865)
Category Archives: Original Photos
Easy Plugin for AdSense by Unreal It isn’t possible to tell the story of the Civil War without recourse to the million photographic images that were created, some of the best of which are part of a new museum exhibition. … Continue reading
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) – The names of the two little girls are an enduring mystery, their images found among crumpled bodies on Civil War battlefields. Each is posed primly on chairs, ringlets cascading past the rouged cheeks of one, the other … Continue reading
This is Wayne Jorgenson. I am a Civil War collector and historian on the First Minnesota Infantry. I am in the final stages of writing a book about the men who served in the First Minnesota Infantry during the Civil … Continue reading
Born Hiram Ulysses Grant, he unprotestingly accepted the clerical error changing his name to Ulysses Simpson Grant when he entered West Point in 1839. His new name, U.S. Grant, lent itself to his Old Army nickname, Uncle Sam Grant, or … Continue reading
If you want to have an idea of what the famed “Rebel Yell” of the Confederates sounded like, check out this video put out by the Smithsonian. It was taken from film footage of Confederate veterans in the 1930s who … Continue reading
Is Nicolas Cage immortal? Actor’s amazing Civil War doppelganger posted on eBay … and it’s yours for only $1million
Antique photo dealer wants huge price for 1870 photo of Tennessee man EBay seller Jack Mörd says it’s a genuine 4” by 2.5” carte de visite photo Picture was found in back of album of death portraits from Civil War era By MARK … Continue reading
Civil War sesquicentennial commemorations shift into high gear As Civil War sesquicentennial commemorations shift into high gear, the Library of Congress has kicked off its remembrance with “The Last Full Measure: Civil War Photographs from the Liljenquist Family Collection,” a … Continue reading
Mike Lynaugh has an interesting collection of Civil War photos that you can view here.